A Priceless Start to Art

October 12, 2022

Mrs. Price helping a student with their art project. (Photo taken by Kristyn Muncy)

This year, the Fair Grove Middle School and High School hired a new art teacher, Kezia Price. She is the Middle School art teacher, and High School Ceramics teacher. 

Price started learning her ability for art at a young age, and she has carried that with her in her career. “My mom was very gifted in art so it was something I have always been around,” said Price. 

“I believe everything we experience in life leads us to where we are ultimately meant to be. Art has always been important to me and a way for me to express myself. In my opinion, art speaks so much louder than words ever could. My high school art teacher made the art room a safe place where I felt like I had a voice for the first time in my life.”

Price has many reasons for choosing to major in art, but the decision to be a teacher came later, “After becoming a mom, I knew that I wanted to go back to school to be an educator. I wanted to have a positive impact on future generations and create an environment where students could explore, experiment, and be inspired by art, as well as feel supported, loved, safe, and valued.” 

To get to know Price even better, she shared background into her life, “I was born and raised in a small town in western New York. My dad raised me and my four other sisters by himself. When I graduated high school I moved to Missouri with my twin sister.” 

Price wants to inspire her students in art, but also in many other ways, “I took college classes on and off for ten years but usually struggled to the point where I was placed on academic probation and my GPA was 1.8.” She eventually graduated with honors and a GPA of 4.0, “Like many students, I struggled throughout high school and college. I always felt like I wasn’t good enough or smart enough. Going to a college that was just as passionate about my career (education) as I was, lit a fire in me to persevere through adversity and to put people in my corner who encouraged, valued, and supported me.” 

Price didn’t teach anywhere else before Fair Grove Middle and High School. So far, she has enjoyed her time in Fair Grove. “My favorite thing about Fair Grove is the sense of community. I have heard amazing things over the years about the Fair Grove community and how it is a very tight-knit area where people genuinely care about others. I wanted to be a part of that and contribute what I can to improve the community even more.”

Savanna Luna (12)  is in Price’s third hour ceramics class. Sharing her thoughts on what Price has already taught her, she said, “Mrs. Price is a very open book. She’s so kind, and is willing to help with anything we need.” 

Price is excited to start this journey at Fair Grove, and hopes to make a true difference.