All Aboard to Greece

October 13, 2022

Culture Club’s trip to Rome, Italy in 2016. (Photo provided by Mrs. Thornton)

Enrollment is now open for the 2024 trip to Greece. The send off for the trip will be July 11, and Shelley Thornton has high expectations for this upcoming adventure. 

This trip will explore the greatest parts of Greece, spending 4 days in Athens along with an island cruise to Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Kusadasi, Cape Sounion, and a few more places. With many different activities planned in between traveling, there will never be a boring moment. 

The cost for a trip like this is continuously changing, and will not be finalized until later on, however Thornton has said that there are different payment plans you can choose from to make payment easier. Thornton wants each student to be able to experience this trip, saying, “The company we travel with is the most affordable around, and we try really hard to make these opportunities available to everyone.” To help pay for the trip. Thornton has organized many different fundraisers. Some fundraisers include working Missouri State University football and basketball concession stands, concert concessions, and some activities at the fairgrounds. 

These trips are supposed to be fun and exciting, not just for Fair Grove students, but people of all ages. Thornton said, “Anyone associated with Fair Grove can go, including students over the age of 12 at departure time, graduates, family members and friends. Adults 20 and older do have to complete a background check.” 

Thornton said that they have traveled to many different countries, including Australia, Belize, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Ireland, Wales, and Costa Rica. Each trip has been exceptionally fun and entertaining. “These trips are so fun! They provide a great opportunity for students to experience some independence, see the world, learn to manage money and navigate new places, practice other languages and experience different cultures. I think it’s one of the most valuable experiences a student can have in high school,” explained Thornton, “Students come back changed- with new perspectives and confidence and, of course, a lot of special memories.”

Amy Johnson, a teacher here at Fair Grove, said that she went on a trip to Greece in 2007 where they went to Athens as well to see the Parthenon. Johnson said, “The views were breathtaking in the mountains and close to the sea,” and that, “Being able to stand in the same places that ancient Greeks lived made me as a history teacher so excited.” 

Thornton would also like to mention that they are taking a trip to Costa Rica in June of 2023. She believes this will be an exciting trip, with many outdoor activities planned like whitewater rafting, horseback riding through the rainforest, ziplining, hot springs, and plenty more things to keep you busy. There are still a few available spaces that need filling for this trip, let Thornton know if you would like to enroll. 

Thornton has no doubt that this trip will be nothing short of exceptional, and is looking forward to it. She loves seeing the things her students learn about in class come to life right in front of them, and making unforgettable memories along the way. She will be running and handling all business, if you have any questions about enrollment she asks that you contact her as soon as possible. The trip will last 10 days, with two days of travel there and two days of travel back.