Exploring OTC

October 27, 2022

From left to right: Spensar Seiger, Brock Bruner, Nolen Geitz, Jaxen Brashears, Shane Brewer, and Carson Krider in the paramedic simulation at OTC. (Photo taken by Tonya Peck)

The Sophomore class went on their annual trip to OTC on October 13th to tour the Career Center and the new robotics building. 

The administration has been taking the Sophomore class to OTC for over seven years.  OTC offers 20 different programs that juniors and seniors in high school can participate in through the career center.

High school counselor, Tonya Peck, said, “Why we go on this trip is because OTC offers what is called the Career Center. This is a program that students can take advantage of during their junior and/or senior years of high school. We take this trip so our students can see the options they have outside of traditional high school. These programs allow our students to get a jump start on college and/or job training. Many of our students that go through the Career Center are able to secure a job immediately after graduation in the program of study that they chose.” 

Mikala Angelo (10) stated, “I enjoyed my experience at the Career Center and I liked seeing the different paths I could choose from down the road and in the near future. I saw the early childhood development, agriculture, and culinary arts programs. There are so many opportunities at OTC along with super friendly people to talk to. I also got to explore paths I’ve never considered before and got an inside look at other options.”

The trip has allowed students in the past to see what amazing opportunities are just down the road for them. They have had students with zero interest come back from this trip and enroll in the Career Center program. The Career Center opportunity allows students to get more hands-on education, college credits, and job training all paid for by our school. 

Kaden Baker (10) added, “This was an amazing experience to be able to have. The programs I saw were the health science, EMT, and fire Science technology programs. I loved being able to learn more about some of the careers that I would love to pursue later in life. I plan on going to the career center my junior and senior year and I am very excited to see what happened after high school.” 

The administration fully supports and encourages the students to research and explore the many opportunities for post high school. The Career Center gives students a jump start on their future and aids them into a successful job/college training. The administration wants all students to experience this opportunity and because of this, they are able to take this trip each year.