Rising Success for the School Store

October 27, 2022

Picture of Flight Gear in The School Store.(Photo taken By Sawyer Haskins)

The Fair Grove School Store is relatively new but is very popular since the people in this community have a lot of pride for their town.

The school store is run by Mrs. Overstreet, a Fair Grove teacher, and her select group of students. The school store took a little while to piece everything together but it has come together over the years. Overstreet said, “I try to improve the class every year just like a real business. I also try to build the class around the needs of my students and their strengths.”

Since Overstreet is a busy teacher, she needs students to step up and help. Overstreet explained, “Every student in the class is assigned shifts (just like a real job) by our assistant manager, Saylor Cowles. They are responsible for switching shifts with someone if they cannot work or get sick. Students also belong to one of three teams in the classroom. Those teams are the marketing, merchandise, and operations team.” 

Brooklyn Alsup (12) is the marketing manager for the school store. “This is my second year in the school store. I chose to be in the school store because it grasps the feelings of the real work world,” stated Alsup.

Alsup added, “It has taught me how to work with a group of people and how a work environment should feel like.” Even though it teaches real world traits it still has student friendly prices. “We need to figure out what all our target markets want,” explained Alsup. A huge percentage of the store’s target market are the students. Alsup said, “We need to figure out what all our target markets want, and if the prices are completely fair.” 

Starting up a new extracurricular activity isn’t always easy but the store has found its home at Fair Grove. Aslup commented, “Mrs. Overstreet has done a great job setting up the store for success because she has worked so hard with the students for the past three years. We have gone from an online store to being an online store and an actual store front.” 

The school store will continue to come out with new designs that the school and community will be able to buy as the year goes on in order to support the school.