Matilda? Matildo!

November 4, 2022

Natalie Nolan and Alyssa Faubion preforming at the 2021-2022 play, Beauty and the Beast. (Photo taken by Bryleigh Mays)

November 18-20th, the Fair Grove High School theater department will be putting on Matilda. The theater department has been working on this show for three months, and hope that the community, friends, and family will enjoy it. 

The theater program at Fair Grove has gained a new teacher this year, and he is ready to get started on this upcoming play. Theater teacher, Leroy Barker, is excited to work with these students on these, “I am really excited to see how the audience feels about our performances because I believe we are making some slight changes. I hope to see some growth in our younger and new actors and expect great performances from our seasoned performers.”

According to the Fair Grove Drama Department, Matilda is about a young girl who grows up in a terrible home. She is neglected by her parents, and has trouble at school. Her school principal is a bully to many of the kids. However, Matilda soon realizes she has the power of telekinesis. When she finds this out she uses her powers to stop her principal from bullying her friends. 

Playing the lead role as Matilda is freshman Alyssa Faubion (9). Faubion has had previous experience in the past as she started acting in elementary, “I am so grateful to be playing the lead role as Matilda! I have been doing productions since elementary. Although I played a lead role in a middle school show, this is really special to me since it’s my first high school show as an actual high schooler! I love each and every one of my cast mates and I’m excited for everyone to put together a great show!”

Faubion also expressed her appreciation for the theater department, “My favorite thing about being in productions probably has to be every opening night. It’s always so cool to see how our many rehearsals that involve lots of dancing, singing, and running scenes over and over finally come together. And, while the rehearsals can be tiring, they are so fun and I enjoy tons of moments with the cast, crew, and directors.”

Other lead roles such as Agatha Trunchbull, the principal, will be played by Ayden Teaster (11). While Jenny Honey, the kind teacher who helps Matilda in the show, will  be played by Hadie Wingo. 

To get a behind the scenes side of the show, technical director, Madi Ellis (12), explains what she does to make the show run smoothly, “I oversee all that happens on and off the stage. I make sure the show runs smoothly, that props are set up when they’re supposed to be, and much more.”

Ellis is also feeling ready for the show, and added her appreciation for the team, “My favorite part of theater is the sense of community. We always have a spot for anyone. I think Matilda will be an amazing show, we have an amazing cast and crew.” 

On November 18th and 19th, Matilda will be shown at 7pm, while on the 20th, Matilda will be shown at 3pm.