Spirit for the Soldiers

November 22, 2022

Susanne Feldman with her sons on red, white and blue day. (Photo provided by Mrs. Feldman)

Week of November 8-11, Fair Grove held a district-wide spirit week in support of local veterans by dressing up with various themes and paying one dollar to wear a hat.

Coordinated by principal Christian Overstreet, students from Pre-K all the way to seniors and staff were invited to participate in a dress up week in support of veterans. The days consisted of camo day, red, white and blue day, hat day and dress to impress day.

Two of the four days were extra special, one showing respect and the other donating money. On dress to impress day, students were encouraged to dress nicely to show respect to the veterans who fought for us when they visited us for an assembly. On hat day, students could bring one dollar and would get a stamp on their hand to show that they could wear a hat. The money collected from hat day went to the Local American Legion and the total amount raised was $500.

Overstreet shared that “My intent to have the week of our Veteran’s Day assembly be a spirit week was to bring more positive attention to our veterans and to show our support for them. I tried to think of fun and easy-to-do spirit days that every student and faculty member in our district could participate in.”

To Overstreet’s surprise, the district showed overwhelming support and dressed up to the themes. Student Alyssa Snitker (11) said that, “ I think that this new spirit week was super fun and it was so great to have it. I think it was not only encouraging for the veterans but it created a sense of respect for them.”

Although this was a new addition to the veterans week appreciation, it was incredibly successful and will likely be continued through the years. It was enjoyed by many students as well as staff. Mrs. Feldman, a teacher well known for going all out for spirit days, explained her thoughts, “Red, white and blue was fun because most people had those colors and/or some flag apparel.  The dress to impress day was super cool also, I was so proud of how many people participated and think it meant a lot to the veterans. 

All in all, this week was a hit and Mr. Overstreet was very pleased, “I would just like to thank the student body and our entire district for their participation in the spirit week and for showing their appreciation to our veterans during the assembly. There were many veterans who spoke to me during the assembly who had nothing but great things to say about our students and how respectful they are. We are very blessed to have a school community who takes pride in honoring our veterans and showing our patriotism!”