Future Farmers Leave the Nest

November 29, 2022

FFA contestants (left to right): Lucas Crutcher (2022 Graduate), Hannah Morris (12), Taylor Rode (12), Brett Sartin (12), and Mr. Johnson. (picture provided by Taylor Rode)

The National Convention occurred Thursday September 29, to Sunday October 2nd 2022 in Indianapolis. The High School FFA (Future Farmers of America) Eagles not only participated, but greatly contributed to The National FFA Convention. 

Hannah Morris (12), talked about the meaning and importance of the convention, “National FFA Convention is to celebrate awards and meet together as an organization. As well as for teams to compete at national level.” FFA allows students to indulge in the opportunities the agricultural branch has to offer in future jobs and passions.

Gretta Arnett (10), a member of FFA who contributed to the convention, explained the atmosphere and crowd. “There are motivational speakers and former FFA members who speak about some of their experiences. Members of all 50 states including Puerto Rico come to the National Convention each year.” 

The activities is what sparks the convention to get kids involved; Arnett described some of the activities going on, “ There were lots of tours such as an orchard, Indianapolis speedway, dairy and pig farm, and a shrimp farm. There was also a main event, which was the group convention, with over 67,000 people there.” 

Arnett continued to tell why this convention is so important, “This trip is so important for the agricultural future because you can meet other people that were in your shoes, and learn from them. Building the number of FFA members will impact the future generations into learning, and growing as a future FFA member.” 

Taylor Rode (12) The Senior FFA President, explained the information and influence FFA gives, “FFA informs the youth of America the need for agriculture in this country. It promotes AG awareness and gives many students direct access to agriculture that would otherwise not. In FFA you can compete and learn about many different topics. This gets the youth of America involved in agriculture.” Fair Grove High School FFA exposes students to different agricultural experiences such as cattle judging, mechanics, wielding, and conservation. 

This year, it was the 95th National Convention, and with the FFA competition group of Hannah Morris (12) Taylor Rode (FFA Senior President), Brett Sartin (12), and Lucas Crutcher  (a recent Fair Grove graduate), they achieved 7th overall as a team at national level.  

Fair Grove High School FFA holds a cluster of careers waiting to be explored, welcoming new members each year as the community grows and seniors graduate. The FFA teachers Mr. Crutcher and Mr. Johnson encourages students to get involved and experience all of the joy and accomplishments that can come with FFA.