Celebrating Our Veterans

December 8, 2022

Chris Stallings, Easton Belts (2022 graduate), Hadison Wingo (11) , Carter Emery (2022 graduate)t. (Photo taken by Samantha Saylor)

Fair Grove hosted the annual Veteran’s Day Assembly on the morning of Friday, November 11th.

Every year, Fair Grove holds a celebratory assembly for our veterans which includes a performance from the high school band and choir, as well as a set of speeches. This event is always held on the morning of Veteran’s Day; it includes a breakfast for the Veterans and recognition for each branch of the military. 

This year, Dr. Overstreet held a speech at the podium in his first year of being principal of Fair Grove High School. This year’s guest speaker was Major Robert L. Fritz.

This year was incredibly special for Fair Grove because of the very first district-wide spirit week leading up to Veteran’s Day. The whole student body and faculty of Fair Grove attends the assembly. 

Mrs. Palomo, the band director said, “I love that our community gathers to show support for our veterans in a consistent way that honors them. It’s cool to see so many students moved by the stories they’ll hear at the assembly, and it’s touching to see how much it means to our veterans that we are there to respect them.”

Many people at the school contributed to the assembly through talks and performances such as Dr. Overstreet, Mrs. Palomo, Mrs. Harmon, Kris Hunter (12th), Ricky Pierce (12th) Aydan Mcclinton (8th), the band, and the choir.  

Dr. Overstreet gave an introduction to the assembly and spoke in between each performance. He also ended with a speech to express his gratitude to the veterans. Mcclinton, a middle schooler, gave a speech on how he was grateful to the veterans, while Hunter, the Senior Class President, led the whole school and guests in the Pledge of Allegiance. 

The Choir performed The National Anthem, while the Band played the Salute to our Troops as well as Taps performed by Pierce. The elementary’s Singing Eagles even had a song to sing for the veterans.

Through this, we get to see the school come together and show our gratitude to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Dr. Overstreet expresses how much this means to him and says, “This is one of my favorite days of our school year because we have so many veterans in our community who come on campus to be celebrated for their sacrifices for our great country!” 

Nearing the end of the assembly, a slideshow was presented with people in the community who have served or are active duty in celebration of those who have and continue to serve.