Band, but Make It Jazzy

December 16, 2022

Photo for “Putting the Jazz in Jazz Band” Article. (Left to right) Alyssa Snitker, Riley Frazier, Collin Emery (Photo taken by Erica Feith)

Jazz Band is an extracurricular ensemble at Fair Grove that performs jazz music, instead of symphonic music like the Fair Grove High School Band plays. 

Jazz band play their instruments, but they also learn about different jazz techniques, and go see jazz concerts by professionals. Jazz has multiple different events they perform at including the Evening of Jazz. Evening of Jazz is the biggest concert that Jazz Band hosts each year. The event is, “…dinner and a show and a more formal event, held off campus,” Natalie Palomo, Fair Grove’s middle school and high school band teacher, commented. 

“We will also likely participate in a jazz festival this year,” said Palomo. The jazz festival is an opportunity for the jazz band to go and play their instruments in front of judges and receive a rating afterwards. 

Jazz band also has a new group this year called, Jazz Combo. Jazz combo will focus on improvisation within their jazz music, they performed at the Senior Citizen’s Luncheon and also at a new event that will be starting during the school year’s second semester. The event will be “Java and Jazz” where the jazz band will perform smooth tunes at Monroe Coffee Shop. 

Palomo commented, “If you’re interested in jazz band, come join us!” Anyone (high school or middle school) who is able to play a jazz instrument is allowed to be in jazz band. Palomo added, “If you play guitar, bass, piano, drumset, or a wind instrument, you can join us in jazz band.”

Ayden Teaster (11), an alto saxophone in jazz band explained, “The music we play in jazz band  is a lot harder than concert band music, but it is very rewarding.” Teaster said he thinks getting to write and perform his own improv solos is the most fun part of jazz music. 

Lee Van Cleave (9) plays the trombone in jazz band. Van Cleave also thinks that the music in jazz band is more difficult. He said, “I chose to join jazz for the challenge. It’s difficult music, so it helps me become a better musician.”

The students who choose to be in Jazz Band thoroughly enjoy their time there. Teaster said, “I love playing in the jazz band.” Van Cleave added, “I love jazz band. It is very unique music compared to concert band music.”

Jazz band will have a night of jazz music and a fancy dinner, at their Evening of Jazz on 3/31 and 4/1.