Shooting Their Shot: Fair Grove High School Basketball

December 16, 2022

Fair Grove High School Boys Basketball Players (left to right): Spensar Seiger (10), Nolan Geitz (10), Jaxon Rowden (12), Blake Winterburg (11). (photo taken by Jena Scaletty)

On October 15 both the boys and girls basketball jamborees kicked off in Marshfield. The girls faced Marshfield and Waynesville, while the boys took on Willow Springs, Norwood, and West Plains.

The girls basketball team did well against Central, Head Coach Jenny Talbert shared, “I was very pleased with our energy and our defense.” 

The lady Eagles fought through at the jamboree, Fair Grove earned more points each quarter than the opposing teams. 

This year the girls basketball team has all returners, while only losing one senior last year. This season, senior Kameron Green takes on her last year, and Talbert has high hopes for her, “I hope Kameron has a tremendous senior year. Most importantly I want it to be a fun one for her. I know she will be one of our main leaders and we expect her to be a force on both ends of the floor.” 

Green (12) shared her input on the jamboree, “I think that the jamboree went very well for our team. We played hard and really demonstrated how much we have improved over the summer and in the off season. It makes me very excited to go into our season with such a strong and competitive team.” 

“I think that the team is going to play very well this season. As for team goals, we have set a lot; some of our main goals are to place in all of our tournaments and flip all of our losses from last year to wins.  I am very excited to see how well we play in tough games. We picked up a lot of new opponents this year and I can’t wait to see how we compete with our harder schedule.” Green also has many personal goals, “As for my senior season, I want it to be the best one yet. My goals include improving in all aspects of the game, averaging more points and rebounds per game, and having fun and competing no matter what the situation,” expressed Green

Coach Talbert has hopes of a title for this team, “Our goals for the season are to get better with each game and ultimately compete and win a conference and district title,” Talbert added. 

Head High School Boys Basketball coach, Bryan Tucker, shared how he views the jamborees as a chance to see how players fit in different rotations, and likes to have his players view this as a learning experience.

We know that for us to be successful we have to buy in to guarding and rebounding at a high level. We know if we can take care of those pieces we are an athletic group that can play fast but discipline enough to play slow as well. We, as a team, have high expectations for our team. We have a great group that plays well together and enjoys winning, no matter who gets the credit,” ended Tucker.

Spensar Seiger (11), a new student and player for Fair Grove shared his experience of the jamboree and how he plans to use his role to better the team, “I think this year’s team will do amazing and make it past the standard that last year’s team set. Our team’s overall goal is to first beat Strafford in the district championship, then go to State. My personal goal is to put my name out there and eventually be all state.” Beyond just the talent of this team, they also enjoy being able to play this sport with these people, “I also love the team chemistry! I feel like the team could get in a big fight one practice and the next day it’s like nothing happened. Before the season we all as a team talked about how we don’t care how many points we get as long as we get the dub.” 

The boys and girls basketball team will continue to play regular season games through January, they will then begin district games.