NHS Students Helping Save Lives

December 16, 2022

NHS students Alyssa Snitker and Katie Mueller supporting Kailie Ankney while she gives blood at the Blood Drive. (photo taken by Brooklyn Williams)

The NHS (National Honor Society) hosted a Blood Drive with CBCO (Community Blood Center of the Ozarks) on December 2nd.

The blood the student gives goes to over 40 local hospitals. Amy Johnson (History teacher and National Honor Society Advisor) added, “Each donor can potentially impact and save three different peoples lives with their donation.” Fair Grove High School’s goal with the blood drive is to fill 103 sign up spots and to have at least 70 successful donations a day. There are two blood drives a year, NHS is doing the winter drive, while FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) is in charge of the spring drive. These blood drives can positively impact at least 420 people a year.

The students could choose a time from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm to donate. The deadline to sign up was December first, the day before the drive. All the volunteering students received a free long sleeve shirt along with a chance to win a $1,s000 gas card.

Fair Grove has surpassed the quota for the sign up and donor list for multiple years now. Mrs. Jonhson announced, “We typically have some of the highest numbers for a school our size.” Lauren Thomlinson (12), a NHS officer, commented on how many students receive satisfaction from saving lives. Kaylee Hamblett (12) shared, “I have been giving blood for three years now. I started in my freshman year.” Austyn Lair (12)  has also expressed, “The reason why I want to donate blood is to help save a life. Being able to save three lives with my blood is amazing.” 

With so many students wanting to be donors, Fair Grove High School was able to help so many people and save a lot of lives with their donations.