Being an Eagle During the Holidays

December 20, 2022

Jameson Rice (Kindergarten) at the Fair Grove Holiday Shop. (photo taken by Erica Feith)

When the holidays come to the town of Fair Grove, the elementary eagles countdown to the break ahead. 

Mr. Buffington, the elementary assistant principal, described how the holidays are spent with his students. “This week we have the Holiday Shop where students get the opportunity to shop for their families. This is a huge event for our kids,” he said. Many school clubs have their high school students help out with this event, allowing kids to get gifts for their family members and loved ones. The Holiday Shop serves as the kickoff for the countdown to Christmas Break. 

Buffington continued about how the Holiday Shop works, and an annual classroom Christmas party. “Holiday Shop is probably one of the most exciting things of the year for our students. Not only do they get to shop, but also receive volunteer help to wrap presents for the kids. Seeing how excited the kids are to spend their money on friends and family is pretty special.”

He continued, “Our kids get pretty pumped for their own classroom parties. This party usually has parent involvement which is great for our kids. Plus, it really signifies the end of the semester and starts our long break.”     

Buffington concluded by talking about the atmosphere of the elementary during December. “Elementary atmosphere is different around the holidays. You feel the spirit of Christmas each and every day in December. From decorations, Christmas clothes, kids singing Christmas carols, to the endless stories of children’s elves. As a staff we want to feed into that miracle of Christmas time and make lasting memories for our kids that they will remember forever. It’s always great to be an eagle, especially during Christmas time,” he described.

Heather Lumley, the music teacher in the elementary school, also shared her love for the elementary atmosphere around the holidays. “The reason I love working at the FG elementary is the same whether it’s Christmas time or an ordinary day. I love the smiles and energy that the kiddos possess. My energy level doubles just by being around their youthful hearts. And you better believe, their energy doubles when Christmas is in the air! Channeling children’s energy so that you get positive results is what makes a great teacher. FG is a great place to be this time of year.”