Opening the Pages to Fun

February 10, 2023

Mrs. Lemon handing out cookies at Book Club (left: Carley Lepold). (photo taken by Ivy Wehmeyer)

Book club gives students a place to go to talk about books they have already read and also discover many new books, all while having good community within the school. 

The Fair Grove book club has been around for ten plus years and has been directed by Mrs. Lemon, the Fair Grove Middle School and High School librarian.

Book club is always trying new activities to keep students interested and help them have a good time. According to Mrs. Lemon, “We tend to have activities/games related to books such as Book Jenga, Book Bingo, Book Art, an Easter Egg hunt and Famous Literary couples.”

According to Carley Lepold (9), “My favorite part of book club is the crafts that we get to do every once and a while. We once learned to make flowers out of book pages.” There is always something fun going on in book club that is also educational.

Mrs. Lemon has tried many different tactics to make book club as fun as possible for all students and has been succeeding. The balance she has created between fun, learning and relaxation has been great for students.  

Not only is Book Club great for the students but it is also enjoyed by Mrs. Lemon. She explained that she loves directing this club and that her favorite part is listening and learning about what high school students are currently reading.

Book club can be for anyone even if you don’t feel like you enjoy reading too much. There is always another type of book you can read or maybe another way you can get interested like audio books.

Book club meets once a month in the library and the meetings vary from 15 – 20 students. Mrs. Lemon stated that during the December meeting, “Students participated in a book swap and ate cupcakes. Our next meeting is Jan 10th and we will be playing Book Jenga & eating cookies.” Mrs. Lemon is always making sure the students are having fun and often have a snack too.