Warming the Court

January 27, 2023

Fair Grove Student Council preparing the hallway board for the courtwarming dance. (photo taken by Jackson Anderson)

The Fair Grove High School is hosting their annual courtwarming basketball game on February 3 and the courtwarming dance on February 4th.

This dance happens every year sometime in the early to middle part of the third quarter. The courtwarming dance is also associated with the courtwarming high school boy’s basketball game, which will be against Skyline High School.

Student Council Sponsor, Micheal Van Cleave, stated, “Student council is planning many things to celebrate courtwarming, which include spirit dress up days, a spirit assembly, electing class princesses and the courtwarming queen, and planning the courtwarming dance. Planning for all of our events is led by our president, RayAnn Hupman, and the supporting cabinet members.” 

Student Council is making a few changes to the dance this year such as, “Holding the dance in the lower elementary gym  – this will allow us to decorate earlier and avoid conflicting with Lions club youth basketball in the high school gym lobby, not hiring a DJ – Student council has invested in some disco lights and will borrow some sound equipment from the school and try being our own DJ this year!  We hope we can play music that students enjoy (which is why we sent out the google form for song requests) and the money we save from hiring a DJ should allow us to do even more for our school,” explained Van Cleave.

The playlist for the courtwarming dance is fully made of student recommendations that were submitted to the Student Council President, RayAnn Hupman. She states, “We sent out a ballot asking the student body what they wanted to hear and from there we chose what ones we thought would fit best.” Hupman also shares, “The songs just have to be school appropriate and we are looking for around 3 hours of songs to add to the playlist.”

For the songs to work in courtwarming, Student Council needs a sound system that works smoothly. The freshman class president, Keith Nolan, shared, “This year I am in charge of setting up and running our sound system. I have made meetings to work out the sound setup and to get it running smoothly.”

The theme of the Fair Grove High School Courtwarming dance will be Enchanted Forest. Nolan stated, “We have brainstormed using different kinds of outdoorsy inspired decorations to give it more of the enchanted forest feel to the dance.”

The annual Fair Grove High School Courtwarming dance will be held in the lower elementary gym of the Fair Grove Elementary School.