Dancing Into Traditions

February 4, 2023

Every year during basketball season, Fair Grove High School hosts the Courtwarming dance. Each student has different things they do to get ready for the big night.

This year, students shared what they do before and after the dance. Some students have been to multiple of the dances and already know what they are doing before the dance. 

Natalie Nolan, for example, is a senior and has been doing basically the same thing before the dances since starting high school. Nolan said, “Every year before courtwarming, I would either be with my friends or my date getting ready, then before the dance we would go somewhere to eat, then go to the dance!”

Other students do almost the same thing as Nolan. Kaylee Hamblet (12) said, “Before the dance, I hang out with friends and get ready, and possibly eat if I feel like it.” Some students eat before the dance, but there are students who choose to go out to eat after the dance. Some students choose to do both. 

Nolan explained, “Normally afterwards, we go to either eat again, or go back to someone’s house to play games or watch a movie. It really just depends on how everyone is feeling!”

Lots of students seem to want to go out to eat or go out with friends, but some students will go home after the long night of dancing and excitement and relax. Hamblet added, “After the dance I usually go and stay with a friend and we just kinda get unready, relax, and chill out after going through a crazy night of excitement.”

Although there are lots of students that choose to go out with friends immediately after the dance, there are the select few that are the ones to help set up and take down the dance decorations. 

Student Council members are among the students that don’t immediately go out. Atticus Brandes (10), Sophomore Class President, explained, “I am participating in Student Council, so before and after the dance we clean and set up the places that the fun is held at.”

Student Council is a big part of the dance. They choose the theme and decorations for the dance; members also set up the decorations and design the dance themselves. After the dance, they stay to help clean up everything that was set up. Of course they can still go out with friends after, the fun is just a little delayed.

Students of Fair Grove High School all have different traditions for the dance, but it seems that in the end, they all end up having fun.