Destroying Districts

February 28, 2023

Fair Grove High School vs. St. James. Photo includes #33 Ashton Bell and #5 Brooke Daniels. (photo taken by Charlie Harp)

The Fair Grove Eagles finished up games and are preparing for high school basketball districts.

The Lady Eagles are preparing for districts in many ways. One main way they are preparing is working on defense a lot in practice and locking in the late season games. Brooke Daniels (10) stated, “The team is best strategizing for districts by just really locking in at practice and working on defense everyday.” 

On the boy’s basketball side of Fair Grove High School, the Eagles are preparing for districts in a different way. Kyle Winterberg (10) explained, “I feel like as of right now there isn’t much of a strategy other than just watching film on the teams and working on what we need to work on as a team at practices.”

The Eagles have a difficult district when it comes to the state tournament. Head Coach of The Eagles, Bryan Tucker, elaborated, “Our district is very competitive with teams like Sparta, Greenwood and Strafford. Obviously, we will have to be playing our best basketball to compete to win the tournament.”

Going into the district tournament, The Eagles and The Lady Eagles have goals that they are hoping to complete in the tournament. The Lady Eagles goals are very simple. Daniels stated, “Our goal is to win districts.” With a lot of new players on varsity this year Tyler Barnett (11) elaborated on what The Eagle’s goal for districts is, “Our goal is to show everybody that just because there are a lot of new faces on the varsity team doesn’t mean we’re not a threat.”

Games to be on the lookout for in the boys basketball district are Fair Grove versus Hartville High School, Strafford High School, or Mansfield High School.  Winterberg exclaimed, “The teams I am looking forward to playing the most are Strafford and Hartville just because they are always exciting.” Barnett also stated, “I am ready to play Strafford because they are our rivals and to get a rematch with Mansfield hopefully.”

On the Lady Eagles’ side of the tournament, some good games to look forward to according to Daniels are against Strafford High School, Ava High School, and El Dorado Springs High School. Daniels explained, “The teams I’m looking forward to playing are Eldorado Springs, Ava, and Strafford because those are the toughest teams in our district.”

The Fair Grove High School boy’s basketball team and girl’s basketball team have both begun their district games and hope to advance to the championship.