Painting Memories

March 8, 2023

Senior RayAnn Hupman working on the 2023 Senior art wall. (photo taken by Brooklyn Williams)

Seniors in the Advanced Art class make an art mural with signatures for the graduating class every year; this year the mural is Spongebob themed.

The art mural has been around Fair Grove High School for a while now. Mrs. Brown, Fair Grove’s high school art teacher, explained, “The senior wall was actually started here 11 years ago. I asked my first round of seniors if they wanted to continue and they did, so here we are. They started in my room and have since been painted over, but I took photographs to have printed poster size and plan on eventually getting those up.” 

A senior participating in painting the mural, RayAnn Hupman, said, “The senior art wall is a wall that is in the back hallway that connects the middle school and high school.” The art mural has moved into the hallway, now more people can enjoy the art mural and look at the past years and what they did. 

Mrs. Brown said, “The senior wall is created by advanced art seniors.” The advanced art class has to come up with a design for the mural and what they want it to look like. This is one of their big projects that the seniors do for  the advanced art class. 

Mrs. Brown explained, “The seniors design the theme of the wall and then we split and conquer the entire senior class with advanced art students painting for them. I assign names to my students and they get with them about what they want their signature to look like. Any senior art student can paint their own. I used to let all of the seniors paint their own but that was so chaotic. This way is easier.” The advanced art students now go and talk to the seniors that are not in that class and get a design from them, then they go and paint it on the mural that way it’s more organized and not as chaotic. 

The seniors in advanced art are currently starting to make the art mural for the class of 2023.