Amy Johnson, Fair Grove Mom

March 8, 2023

Mr. Jeffrey Johnson and Mrs. Amy Johnson. (photo provided by Shannon Alexander of 417 Photo Co.)

Mrs. Amy Johnson, a valuable member of the Fair Grove staff, has been teaching various history classes and engaging with and influencing students and staff for the past 21 years.

Johnson has been with the Fair Grove School District for her entire teaching career. Throughout this time, she has run the Prom Committee, and also been the National Honor Society club sponsor. She teaches Government, Geography, Advanced World History, Psychology, and Sociology to the Fair Grove upperclassmen. 

Mrs. Johnson stated, “I love being able to know ALL the students.  At some point, I will have every student in one of my classes. The students, staff, and community are always great supporters. Fair Grove has given me a school to call home.  I feel completely settled here.” 

She explained another one of her favorite parts about being a teacher, “I love to engage with students in discussions and help them work towards who they will become in the future. I hope I make a positive impact on all my students. I try to support all students, teach all students, and love all students. I love being a teacher at FG and would not want to be at any other school.”

Mrs. Sarah Englis, a coworker and friend of Mrs. Johnson for the past decade, states, “My favorite quality (of hers) is hard to narrow down to just one, I jokingly call her my ‘Work Mom’, she is so helpful all the time and if there is something that comes up, she is always the first to say yes to help.” 

She continues, “Johnson’s legacy is going to be about service: the students that go through her NHS Program and her classes all recognize she is about community service. She is the first to volunteer and she encourages others to volunteer. Her legacy is teaching us that we can all give back!”

Cooper Zumwalt (12), a student at Fair Grove High School has nearly taken all of the courses that Mrs. Johnson offers, as well as being involved in the Prom Committee and National Honor Society. He states, “Mrs. Johnson has impacted my life by providing me with a broad education that encompasses and embraces the importance of other cultures, ideas, and traditions. I’ve learned a lot about how the human mind and society works within her classes, and I’ll always be thankful for the knowledge I have obtained.” 

Mrs Johnson is also known for being able to make her students smile, Zumwalt explained, “One of my favorite qualities that Mrs. Johnson possesses is her humor. She makes learning in the classroom fun because she isn’t afraid to crack a joke while recognizing the major concepts we are learning at the time.”

Mrs. Johnson is more than just a teacher at Fair Grove, she is a friend and mentor to many students and even other teachers.