Future Leaders of America Lead The Way to Success

March 10, 2023

From left to right, Haylee Potter, Braden Booth, Lauren Thomlinson, Maddox Dodd, Jackson Martin. (Photo provided by Lauren Thomlinson)

On February 7th FBLA & DECA went to districts in Bolivar, both clubs had multiple successes within the competition. 

Senior Officer Lauren Thomlinson competed in districts, when asked about the trip she explained, “I took the business calculation and business communication test for FBLA and placed 2nd in the business calculation test. I competed with Braden Booth in the Financial Team Decision-Making Event for DECA and placed 2nd. For the FTDM event, we separately took financial cluster tests and then worked together on a roleplay before a judge. I qualified for state in FBLA and DECA so I feel good about districts.” 

Thomlinson is in both FBLA and DECA. She explained that both clubs have helped her tremendously in multiple areas in life, “FBLA and DECA have taught me how to be a great leader. And through my roles in them, I’ve learned how to effectively listen to others, prepare great events, and lead a successful club.” 

“I think I will be a step ahead of my peers out of high school. I have experience with both business and marketing, and not many students have that experience. I have also learned how to be a great leader which will help me in my future career, ” Thomlinson added.

Thomlinson talked about what she loves the most within the clubs, “My favorite thing about FBLA and DECA is meeting new people. When we compete we get to travel to places around Missouri and it is great to meet other students interested in the same thing.” 

Cayse Overstreet and Jalen Supancic are the sponsors of FBLA and DECA. Overstreet has been very impressed with the clubs success in tournaments this year, “Braden Booth and Lauren Thomlinson both qualified for State in the Financial Services Team Decision-Making Role Play. My favorite part about the event is seeing the professionalism in our students and how well they perform against the large schools!”

Overstreet shared, “I really enjoy seeing our students grow into leaders and find their confidence through planning events and competing in professional competitions. I’m always proud of outgoing students who do well,” Overstreet continued, “…but I love even more seeing students who didn’t think FBLA/DECA was for them and then do things they never thought they could do. I also love the friendships they would have never built with kids outside of their groups,”  

The next FBLA and DECA events will be the blood drive happening on April 23, along with the incentive trip coming up shortly where they will be touring Bass Pro’s Base Camp, and then finally the State tournament.