A Leap into College

April 25, 2023

Evangel University in Springfield, Missouri. (photo taken by Alix Harris)

College visits allow high school students to get a head start on their future and help them gain more information on colleges they are interested in.

College visits count as a school function for juniors and seniors. Juniors are allowed one college visit, while seniors are allowed two. These are excused absences to go visit colleges in the area and see how students feel about them.

During these visits, students most likely get a tour of the college, talk about financial plans and courses available, discuss scholarships, and more. 

“A brochure and the college website are only going to show you the picture perfect and positives about their campus. A college tour allows you to see the campus for yourself, and talk honestly with students that are attending,” stated Allison Findley (11).

Findley also explained, “Schools need to further influence students going on college visits with the foundation that there is no stress in gaining information, and it’s always a good idea to open your mind to new and maybe better opportunities any other college may offer.” 

College visits have absolutely no requirements or commitments, they are simply to obtain new information about the school. Schools all throughout the area have college visit days and many students gain an abundant amount of information that help them with their future choices in colleges and careers.

Susanne Feldman, high school math teacher, said, “Picking a college is a huge decision. It is important to get a feel for the campus and meet at least a few people to see if it will be a good fit for a student.” 

The only work required to go to a college visit is to get in touch with the college, book a date at least a week in advance then go to the office to fill out an application. Picking a college is a huge decision; it is important to get a feel for the campus and meet a few people to see if it will be a good fit for a student.