Keeping Up With Jones: Evyn Jones Feature

May 17, 2023

Evyn Jones in her prom dress. (photo taken by Earlisha Mathis provided by Evyn Jones)

Evyn Jones is a junior at Fair Grove High School who is involved in Student Council, Future Teachers of America (FTA), Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), National Honor Society (NHS), Cross Country, and Girls Soccer. 

Evyn Jones has always been a very involved student and continues to up her involvement more and more every year. Jones has been in Student Council since 8th grade as a member, freshman year as Class Vice President, and sophomore/junior year as Class President. Jones has been in FTA since sophomore year as just a member and junior year as Vice President. Along with being in SADD since sophomore year as a member but Junior year Jones was an executive officer and along with senior year Jones will be an executive member (unsure of the position). She is also currently a member of NHS. Jones joined Cross Country in 7th grade and has run since. This year as a junior Jones was voted Girl’s Cross Country Team Captain. Lastly, Jones has been doing soccer since her Freshman year.

Jones’ soccer coach Krista Miller can attest to the kind of athlete and person Evyn is, “As Evyn’s coach I can attest to Evyn’s character as an athlete and a teammate and friend to her peers. She has a very positive and energetic spirit. She brings a lot of laughter and joy to her team. She works hard on and off the field and encourages her teammates to do the same.” 

One of Jones’ fellow teammates, Karla Sabata (10) shared, “Well, Evyn was one of the first people I met here, and since day one she has been very important. I think what sets her apart is her cheerful personality, she can be very funny and at the same time she is very caring and will stand up for you. She makes everything better everywhere she goes and she’s a perfect example of dedication and love.” Sabata continued, “She makes an impact on the team, her athletic mentality makes a difference and you know when she’s not playing because it feels significantly different.” 

Miller finished with, “Evyn has an ability to keep going and pushing no matter the circumstances. She gives 100% in the 1st minute of the game/practice all the way to the end. Even when the outcome may seem bleak she will continue to push and push those around her.” 

Jones has many different hobbies and likes to keep herself busy. “I am interested in quite a few things. I love reading books when I find the time, and over summer I enjoy writing about all sorts of things. I also really enjoy art, and have been doing art for as long as I can remember. I also really love to cook, whether I’m following a recipe or trying something on my own,” Jones explained about herself outside of school. 

Jones puts her school work above school activities and has a few classes she enjoys, “My favorite class is probably my advanced art class. I enjoy doing art and trying things I would have never tried on my own. It also gives me an opportunity in my busy day to actually do art. I also really enjoy newspaper. It’s such a chill environment and a nice break in the middle of the day. Sometimes it is a little stressful trying to stay caught up but it’s always fun, especially with the variety of conversations that occur in class,” states Jones. 

Jones has some big plans for her future. She wants to get a doctorate and work in Child Psychology. Jones explained, “I really like the analytical part of psychology too and would love to do work with that.” 

As Jones continues her academic and athletic journey heading into her senior year she plans to stay as involved as possible and finish off her high school career knowing that she did everything she could to have the best high school experience.