Elementary Wrapping Up the Year

May 25, 2023

Elementary Library Book Fair. (photo taken by Meadow Carter)

Following the nearing end of 2022-2023 school year, the elementary school is hosting multiple events to round out the year, including Field Day, the Book Fair, and Kindergarten Orientation.

The first fun event is Field Day, which is a day full of activities held for all students K-4. The students compete and participate in various events that are both fun and challenging. It is an opportunity for students to put their athletic skills to work. The events include, but are not limited to: Obstacle Course, 50 and 100 yard dash, Sack Race, Jump Rope Race, Jumping Rope, and Hula Hooping. Class activities will include Bocce Ball, Capture the Flag, and, a fan favorite, Tug of War.

Mike Stockton organizes the event by getting all the equipment ready. He shared, “Many others will help to make this exciting day happen. This year I will have my A+ student Brett Sartin coming back to help. I had a couple of college students who observed me this year and they may show up to help as well. Mr. Jason will be on the mic and will take care of the music and all announcements. Mrs. Feldman will send out some students who will help with certain events.”

Another event is the Book Fair, which Julie Hampton, the chairperson for the Book Fair, hosts. She explained, “The main purpose is for students to get books in their homes that they can read over the summer. Since kids don’t check out books from the school library all summer long, we want to have another resource for them to have books they can and want to read. Research shows that students must read at least 4 books on their level through the summer months to reduce the summer slide.” At the end of the year, the Book Fair does a Buy-1-Get-1-FREE deal at the end of the year, so the proceeds collected by the fair go to funding the free books the students receive. 

Hampton shared that she believes the Book Fair, especially the Buy-1-Get-1 deal, promotes reading in students. “Anytime a student can pick a book they want, they are going to be more interested and excited about reading,” she said. “We appreciate the donations our community makes to help make sure everyone gets a book from the book fair.”

The final event that joins the end of the 2022-2023 school year is Kindergarten Orientation. The orientation is an opportunity for incoming kindergarten students to meet the principals and kindergarten teachers. They’ll get a school breakfast, have the opportunity to play on the playground, have their first school bus ride, and experience some classroom activities. “Orientation is really a snapshot of what they can expect a day at school to be like when they start Kindergarten in August,” Tiffany Willis, who was in charge of marketing the information to the public, stated.

The elementary gives students opportunities to enjoy the end of the year and be prepared for the year ahead.