Competition Season Begins for FG Speech and Debate

Junior+Dylan+Appleton+practices+his+speech+before+performing+before+judges.+

Jordan Robertson

Junior Dylan Appleton practices his speech before performing before judges.

Jordan Robertson, Page Editor: Middle School

The Fair Grove High School speech and debate team competed in their second tournament of the year on Saturday, October 25th at Ozark High School. The tournament hosted some tough competitors including Nixa and Strafford High School. Fair Grove competed in many different entries such as dramatic interpretation, storytelling, radio and poetry. Dylan Appleton ( junior) competed in dramatic interpretation, Sarah Mckinnis (junior)  in storytelling, and Ozzy Carpenter (senior)  in Poetry.

On October 11th, the team competed in their first tournament at Niangua. Courtney Deeds and Makalie Woody entered a piece into Duet Acting. They made it through the first round and were awarded the chance to perform again in finals later that same day.  Courtney Deeds also pushed through the first round and into finals with her individual piece in Storytelling.

“To prepare for the tournament, we learn our pieces about a month or two in advance,” said senior team member Ozzy Carpenter. Saturday’s competition included many pieces that were performed at the teams previous tournament in Niangua. Students have spent a month or more on rehearsing, practicing and perfecting their individual and group pieces.

“This particular competition is one of our toughest because there is a lot of competition here,” stated Jamie Deckard, the speech and debate team sponsor. This is Ms. Deckard’s first year here at Fair Grove. She took over the theater classes as well as the speech and debate team previously taught by Mrs. Holland.

The speech and debate team includes Dylan Appleton, Makalie Woody, Courtney Deeds, Micki Hudgings, Clay Sallee, Gus Irvine, Sarah Mckinnis, Sam Hargis, Riley Evans, Ozzy Carpenter and Luke Cockroft. Their next speech and debate tournament will be hosted by Purdy on November 8th.