Students Test Their Intelligence in Scholar Bowl

Students practice answering questions at Scholar Bowl Practice.

Preston Padgett, Co-Editor of website / Twitter Manager

This year’s scholar bowl team will be competing in competitions throughout Missouri this school year. With the departure of Mrs. Brizendine this past summer, Mrs. Wahlquist will take over as a sponsor for the scholar bowl team. Scholar Bowl is for 9th – 12th graders. Scholar bowl is a MSHSAA (Missouri State High School Activities Association) organized event. With that, scholar bowl is an event that you are able to go to conference and district competition in. You can also proceed to state playoffs if you qualify. Scholar Bowl is a jeopardy type of game, with buzzers used to answer questions. The questions can range from sports, math, history, science, pop culture, etc. Some students are math wizards, so naturally, they will be the go – to people for the math questions. Other’s are in the same boat, but for different topics or subjects. In order for your answer to count and be recorded correctly, you must buzz in to answer but must wait to be called on by the judge, calling out your answer without being recognized first will result in a disqualification.

“At practices, we will use a buzzer system, just like we use in competitions. We divide up in teams and answer practice questions,” states Mrs. Wahlquist. This year’s varsity team will participate in around four competitions, with some JV competitions mixed in. “I would like to develop a junior varsity team of primarily freshmen and sophomores and anyone new to the team who would like to practice, have fun and demonstrate their knowledge,” says Wahlquist. The team this year is just starting up now, and Mrs. Wahlquist says “anyone  interested should at least come and watch a practice to see if it is something in which they may be interested.” The varsity team is planned to practice every Friday, with junior varsity to practice on Monday’s and Wednesday’s.

Austin Squires, a senior scholar bowl member, is excited for this year’s team to come together and compete in the competitions. “Beating Strafford and winning conference is a major goal,” states Squires. Austin Squires answers all the history questions. He is the most intelligent when it comes to History, so when a history question is asked, he answers. “Competitions are fun. Sometimes we get out of school, and if they are on Saturday we usually stop for food. They get really intense when the scores are close,” says Squires. Austin Squires says scholar bowl is fun and anyone who thinks they would enjoy it, should try it.

The first scholar bowl competition is still to be determined. If you have any questions, Mrs. Wahlquist’s room is located in the front hallway (room 8), across from Mr. Van Cleave’s room.