Students Prepare to Save Lives by Donating Blood

Kayla Bearden, Facebook Manager

Friday, December 5th, Fair Grove High School will be hosting a blood drive which FBLA will be running. Mrs. Robinson stated that there is not as many people signed up as there has been in the previous years, “You can sign up all the way until Friday which is the day of the drive.”

The Blood Drive will be located in the upper elementary gym like is has been in the previous years. When students go in to donate, they will first have to fill out some information, get their iron tested, then they will be sent to their own cot to start giving blood.

When asked what she likes most about the blood drives, Mrs. Robinson mentioned that, “She loves seeing first time donors successfully give a unit of blood. They are always proud of themselves and they realize that it is not as scary as they thought it would be.”

Kirsten Carver stated that she is “really looking forward to comforting her friends while they are saving lives as well as beating Strafford.” After the donor is done giving blood they have a table set up with snacks and drink as well as some tables and chairs to relax. “I have never donated blood because I wasn’t 16 last year but i am planning on it this year,” added Carver.

“If you are donating friday you need to drink lots of water and eat a good breakfast. Don’t stress out about it, your blood won’t pump as easily if you are worried about it, just relax and focus on the fact that you will be saving three lives,” says Mrs. Robinson. Your entire body is made out of 60% water. It is hard for your body to lose all of that blood without drinking a bunch of water before hand.

Robinson said that the blood drives in the past have surprised her. She stated that, “they always turned out better than she expected.” Mrs. Robinson explained, “It’s inspiring to see the kids realize how many people they are saving.” She noted that one single pint of blood can save as many as three people’s lives.