8th Graders Prepare For Their Future

Katelyne Cloyd, Ad Sales

On Wednesday, December 3rd the 8th grade class got a chance to job shadow a person of their choice. Mrs. Wilson, the teacher in charge of the job shadowing, said, “Students try to shadow a job where they have an interest in perhaps doing that particular job someday.” A few of the jobs that many 8th graders chose to shadow are veterinarians, dental hygienist, athletic trainer, teachers, zoo, and head of housekeeping at a hotel.

Brystol Bates, a student in Mrs. Wilson’s 5th hour class, volunteered at the zoo for her job shadowing experience. She said, “[I volunteered there] because I am interested in being a vet.” Bates shadowed the vet tech that works at the zoo. Bates also said when students return the next day from job shadowing, they fill out papers about the job that they followed and write a thank you letter to the person they job shadowed.

Mrs. Wilson comments, “Job shadowing allows students the opportunity to see what the ‘real’ work place is like. It also give them a chance to think about what classes they might need in high school and beyond for a job.  It definitely encourages them to be independent and responsible as they approach their high school years.”

Bates said, “[My favorite part was when] I got to feed an owl.” Bates also commented that job shadowing experience showed her that she would like to pursue a career as a vet.

Mrs. Wilson noted, “Job shadowing day has always been a success for the majority of students. They come back to school on Thursday after shadowing excited to share information about their day. It is always wonderful to hear about their experiences.  It really is a positive thing for them to get to do.”