Starting The New Year Right

Kayla Bearden

Freshman Bailey Chandler plans on studying for finals sooner this year.

Skylar Kensinger, Asst. Ad Sales

Forty-five percent of Americans make New Year’s Resolutions including losing weight, quitting smoking, and saving money according to Statisticbrain.com. Although, many people set goals, very few people follow through with these resolutions. Only eight percent of Americans actually accomplish the goals they set for themselves at the beginning of the year. Some students at Fair Grove have set goals for themselves, but according to statistics only about 12 kids in the whole high school will follow through with their New Year’s Resolutions.

Many people, including sophomore Austin Page, say they want to stay fit in 2015, but we all know once Valentine’s Day comes around and we get chocolate from our significant other, our diet will go down the drain. For Bryce Bettis this won’t be a problem. Bryce said, “I want to gain weight in 2015, and get some meat on my bones.” This might sound unusual, but many of us would agree that we wish we were in her shoes.

High School students are notorious for procrastinating. We all know everyone does it. Bailey Chandler, a Sophomore, explained, “I want to study for finals sooner this year to make sure I get better grades.” The last two weeks of school are hectic for high school students. We shouldn’t cram, but it always ends up happening. Juniors and Seniors should be looking for colleges, thinking where they want to be in five years, and figuring out what they want to do with their lives. But how many of us really are preparing for this stage in our lives?

Sarah McKinnis stated, “This year I am going to stop procrastinating and figure out what I am going to do with my life.”

New Year’s Resolutions are a good way to start off the new year, but very few people follow through with their goals. After 12 months, who is going to remember what they wanted to do at the beginning of the year? The point is, whatever your New Year’s Resolution may be, good luck. Because you have a whole year ahead of you, and although achieving one goal is good, achieving many goals sounds much better.