So Close to the End, But Yet So Far…

Emilie Armstrong, Columnist / Asst. Website

Oh gosh. It’s second semester. It’s that point in the year where you are either giving up, you’re just admitting to yourself that you are done trying and you are just going to let your grades plummet to levels of failure unknown to man, or you realize this is happening to your life so you’re cracking down on your studying, and deciding that you are going to start trying now. Well, there really is no one that is doing the second one. I described pretty much every person’s life right there in the first scenario.

Second semester casts a spell on you. You return from Christmas break wearing all your new clothes and breaking in the twenty pairs of shoes you got from distant family. This whole time you’re thinking, “Oh, this isn’t that bad. I don’t mind coming back.” Then the advisory bell rings. And the teacher starts speaking school words. You know, that one language you haven’t spoken in two weeks.

It sets in, now you know why you were so pumped to start Christmas break, in the first place. The words coming through your ears are some how surpassing your brain so you’re sitting there with the most blank look on your face, focused on that one spot on the wall. The sleep you should’ve gotten last night is taunting your eyelids and the phantom bell is taunting your ears. Second semester treats no one well.

Then you have the people that are switching classes. You know, when the first semester of your schedule works out perfectly, then when you want to work in a half of a semester of a certain class you have to rearrange every single class into a different order. You have to get new syllabi signed and pick a different path to take through the hallway. And then there is the lunch shift. I have to pick a new lunch table too?! The only thing on your mind is, “Oh second semester, get your life together, and quit making mine torturous.”

No. You must snap out of it. Don’t fall for the curse that is second semester. It might bog you down but you must rise above. You know that guessing “C” on every single multiple choice quiz is not right, persevere! You might think that it will never end, but the end is nearer than you think. You better start picking up the slack in High School because I feel like college is going to destroy your life, if you’re already giving up.