Fair Grove Buzzing in for Scholar Bowl

Carolyn Hardin

Senior members of Scholar Bowl, Mitchell Hackett, Austin Squires, Cassidy Low, and Chad Garroute, competing at their Strafford competition.

Jordyn Dowell, Reporter

Scholar bowl is having a very successful year. Scholar bowl team consists of students who compete against other schools in an academic trivia competition. It is comparable to jeopardy. It works your brain, and your brain is the crowning glory of your body.
There is a total of twelve people that are taken to competitions. Six of them are varsity, and the other six are junior varsity. During the competition, there are four people on a team while two of them sit out as substitutes. The people on the team hear the question; afterwards, they buzz in and have time limit to answer the question. Some of the topics for the questions being asked include science, math, history, communication arts, fine arts/ performing arts, literature, geography, and miscellaneous. There are awards for individual high scores and team scores.

Scholar bowl varsity meets Fridays after school until 4:30, which are grades 9-12. Junior varsity meets Wednesdays until 4:30, which are grades 9-11. The meeting are held in Mrs. Wahlquist’s room.

Austin Squires is a varsity student involved. Squires says, “ My favorite part about Scholar Bowl is competing against other teams.” You go against other schools during competitions. “My favorite subject of questions are literature and history,” Squires replies. Many students benefit from Scholar Bowl. Squires says, “I feel like I benefit from this because I learn new and interesting things, and meet new people.”

The lead teacher of Scholar Bowl is Mrs.Wahlquist. She strives to do her best to help the students who are involved to prepare for the upcoming meets. “I enjoy coaching this because the kids enjoy it. It rewards quick thinking and problem solving. We laugh often and I’m amazed at the trivia questions that they know. I’m glad to be part of this competition, and MSHSAA even, that rewards academic performance. I know the students benefit-and so do I,” States Mrs. Wahlquist.