Middle School Students Engage in a New Club: TRUE

Claire Foster

Haley Stallings and Lorin Weaver teach in True.

Alyssa Everett, Asst. News and Asst. Paper Editor

Every Thursday morning, the students of Fair Grove Middle School gather to talk about God. They meet in the library computer lab with Leola Bryce, middle school science teacher, as the director. Since the club has been up and running, students from the high school are leading the messages for the students.

“As we are just beginning, we are being mentored by the Jolt students in the high school. They have come to help us get our feet on the ground and to make sure the students understand that their voice matters,” states Bryce. “They have been encouraging the students to be true to what they believe and to be an encouragement in a school setting where others may sometimes not be so positive. They have been given challenges to make a positive difference in our student body. They usually have a scripture shared and discussions about ways they can apply that to their day.”

Since True has just gotten started, they haven’t had much opportunity for extra activities. Bryce has mentioned surveys for the students to further decide what they would like to do as far as outreaches or events. True is a student-led group, so it’s up to the middle schoolers to determine where they go next.

True member Jocelyn Roberts says, “I come to learn about God. My favorite part is to be here with my friends and Jesus.”

Bryce talks about the meaning behind True, and what she hopes to accomplish, “The main purpose behind True is to promote similar beliefs and a positive attitude in our students. We’d like to improve by just getting more of the kids in here. It seems to be a good time for students to be able to attend and begin their day in a positive way.”

True meets at 7:45 through advisory on Thursday mornings in the library computer lab. They encourage more students to come so they can spread the word of God.