Fair Grove’s 38th Annual Fall Festival

Thousands+of+people+gather+at+the+festival+to+eat+and+have+fun.+

Macy Lumley

Thousands of people gather at the festival to eat and have fun.

Macy Lumley, Social Media Manager

The 38th annual Fair Grove Heritage Reunion was held on September 26th-27th at the old Wommack Mill.
The Wommack Mill, the city’s oldest standing structure, is the center of attention at the Heritage Reunion, or to others known as the Fall Festival. The Mill was built in 1883 and was used to create flour, running on a steam engine powered mill. Later in the 1930s, it ran on electricity. Clifford Eldon Wommack ran the mill. After his death in 1969, they closed it down. The Mill is now used for festivals, weddings, reunions, picnics, and meetings.
On the first day of the festival, there is a parade starting at 10 A.M. Saturday morning. The parade goes through Fair Grove, and is ran to show what Fair Grove is all about, and what is in the town. Various floats were in the parade, such as the high school football team, volleyball team, cheerleaders, and antique tractors and cars. After the parade, all the people can go and see all the fantastic booths, listen to bands playing, horses, and all the different types of food.

Over 15,000 people come to this small town just for the Heritage Reunion during this weekend. There are about three- hundred booths of art, food, and jewelry to go look at. The owner of the Lion’s Club Curly Fries stand, Mike Rowland, had a bit of history to share about his stand. “This is a family business that we have had for about 25 years. More than 1,500 people come to our stand during the fall festival.” Rowland also stated that he loves meeting the different people that go to his stand, and all the people that volunteered to help with the stand this year.
“My favorite food to eat at the Fall Festival would be the fried oreos, they are so delicious,” stated Renata Suciu.
The Fair Grove annual Heritage Reunion is a time of remembrance, and also a time for eating and being around friends and family. Visit Fair Grove next year for the 39th annual reunion on September 26th, and 27th, 2016.