Fly Into The Nest

Photo By Alyssa Everett

Elijah Stafford works the counter at The Nest.

Alyssa Everett, Editor of Newspaper

The Fair Grove Eagle’s Nest is already up and running with a few new features for this school year. The high school’s NHS (National Honor Society), has been in charge of the cafe ever since it opened during the second semester last year.

Amy Johnson, Government and Psychology teacher at Fair Grove, is the head sponsor of NHS. She talks a little bit about their goals for the year as well as any new additions to the shop, “We are taking debit cards, and within the next month we’ll have gift cards people can put money on. Also, we offer free popcorn after school for kids who want to come study and hang out.”

Ideas for The Nest arose last year around the end of the first semester, and it officially opened to students during January of the 2014-15 school year. The idea behind the nest according to Johnson, was to have a place where students could come and meet and get something out of it in the process. The Nest has proved to be just that.
Kaily Beckner (12), is the President of NHS this year, and is in the shop nearly every morning with Kayla Bruemmer (12), her Vice President. She comments about how she feels the business is going this year, “I think we have more business this year, because we can now do debit and credit cards.”
There are many things, however, that NHS hopes that the coffee shop will be able to improve on in the near future, “I’d like to hire a manager to help me, and I’d just like to see more groups come in and hang out,” states Johnson. She later comments saying she hopes that eventually different clubs can use the coffee shop as a means for fundraising.

The majority of the money made from The Nest is going towards the numerous charities that NHS works with, such as the Ronald McDonald house.
NHS encourages everyone to come in and get breakfast in the morning or just to hang out. The shop is open every morning before school, and everyday after school except for Fridays.