Scholar’s Bowl Buzzes Into Season, Getting 9th-12th Involved

Alyssa Everett

Scholar Bowl practices their trivis after school.

Kyle Cavanaugh, Video Editor

Scholars bowl is a trivia tournament that MSHSAA sanctioned organization to allow schools to compete in local districts and state tournaments. They use a buzzer system to help determine who gets to answer a question and there are four members per team. Fair Grove Scholars bowl team consist of two teams. The Junior Varsity, which normally has freshmen and sophomores on it, and the Varsity team, which has juniors and seniors.
“My favorite part about scholar bowl is when we get asked a really hard question and no one knows the answer so we just say silly things, plus we learn new things. Oh, and the snacks.” Mersadie Risner says.
The varsity is mainly for juniors and seniors, but Mrs. Wahlquist says, “Although I always take my high scorers from practice to compete, so that might be a underclassmen if they are performing better.”

Varsity practices Tuesday right after school, preparing each practice as if it is a competition. “At practices we divide up and compete as if it was a tournament” Wahlquist explains.
This year will be Mrs. Wahlquist’s 2nd year as a sponsor for scholars bowl, and she says that she would love to have multiple teams at each level of competition this year.Mersadie also adds that she likes the anticipation of answering questions because she wants to try and answer questions correctly before the other team so that she can get points for them. Any students interested in joining can contact Mrs. Wahlquist.