Steve Grant Tackles Fair Grove

PHOTO BY MIKAYLA YOUNT

Professional football player Steve Grant speaks to students during the assembly.

Mikayla Yount, Reporter

On Thursday October 22nd, Steve Grant, a retired NFL linebacker came to Fair Grove to talk to all the students grades 5-12.

“Helping young people understand the consequences of their choices, good or bad is the main purpose of my speech to students,” explained Grant.

Kids were gathered into the gymnasium and Steve showed them a video about himself with a quote about his life; “I was stumbling through life, wondering who I was; trying to find myself through fame, money, power, and women. It wasn’t until I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior that everything became clear, and I finally became who I was destined to be.” He handed out cards that displayed this quote along with his information and a number that kids can text if they need someone to talk to.
“By having this assembly, it allows young people to live outside the moment rather than inside the moment,” said Steve.

He went to the university of West Virginia and then went on to play in the NFL for the Indianapolis Colts (1992-1997) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1997). Now he gets to go to different schools and assist kids in finding help if necessary. He feels that he is contributing to society in the same way that others contributed to him.
Steve got to talk to the students for about an hour and after his speech he gave them a card that said, “I will be alcohol free and/or drug free”, there was another box that said “other” and gave students a space to write in another answer. He then asked the students to check the boxes that they planned to follow. Steve had cardboard boxes placed at all of the exits and asked the students to place their cards in the boxes to return them if they filled them out.
He ended his speech with his motto he has lived by, “You’re not born a winner, You’re not born a loser, You’re born a chooser.” Then he stayed after for a short while and gave out signatures.