FFA Places in National Agronomy Contest

Gabrielle Roberts, Feature Page Editor

Earlier this school year the high school Future Farmers of America (FFA) club went to state to compete for a place in agronomy. Fair Grove’s agronomy team came out with a first place finish at state, which then enabled them to attend nationals where they received eighth place.

The agronomy team that went included juniors Matia Hartley, Laura Jackson, Emily Jones, and Colbie Covert. Each individual on the team had to complete a set of smaller tests to help make up the main test. One of the main events was a group activity where the team was given a scenario and had to solve the problems within the outline in front of a panel of judges. From that, their scores are then averaged together to get an overall score for the group. The written test is meant to test the group’s knowledge over the basic workings of machinery, as well as identification of seeds, plants, soil, and even taking soil tests.

Matia Hartley, Vice President of FFA, says she has been a part of this club since her freshman year. She goes on saying, “We really did well this year, as a whole group and individually! To go to nationals is a big honor and we hope to go again next year. There is a lot of work and preparation done before hand to prepare, but we always manage to place in state. I hope we can do just as well, if not better next year.” Matia goes on saying that FFA has already begun preparations for next year’s district competitions.