Community Programs Contribute to Education

Leah Wahlquist, Copy Editor

Recently, the elementary students, Pre-K through fourth graders, participated in several assemblies that helped them stay safe and rewarded some for their good character. These assemblies included the Fire Safety assembly on October 6th, the Character Assembly on October 13th, and the Bus Safety and Evacuation assembly on October 19th.
The Fire Safety assembly is led by the Fair Grove Fire Department and Fire Chief Mark Raymond. Charity Hollan, the elementary principal, shared, “The purpose of this assembly is to educate students on fire safety. They learned how to quickly escape during a fire and enjoyed getting to tour the fire truck following the presentation.” This event only occurs once a year and helps students understand the importance of quickly and safely escaping a fire when necessary.
During National Bus Safety Week in the month of October, the Fair Grove Transportation Department director, Don Brite, and safety trainer, Missy Hoskins, held an assembly in the elementary to inform students of the school’s safety expectations for those riding buses to or from school. The students also participated in bus evacuation drills required by the state of Missouri. This year, the elementary has a new policy regarding loading buses before school. Each student must wait safely on the side of the road and wait to cross until their bus driver gives them the thumbs up to quickly cross the road and enter the bus. Hoskins excitedly said, “This year’s training has already made a huge impact for one child in our school district who waited for the “thumbs up” signal from her driver, saving her from possibly being hit by the approaching distracted driver.”
The FG Fire Dept led the assembly. Mark Raymond is the fire chief.
The bus safety assembly happens each year during National Bus Safety Week in the month of October. The Assembly is put on by the Fair Grove Transportation Department that is headed up by the Director Don Brite and Safety Trainer Missy Hoskins. The kids do an amazing job of not only listening during the assembly but also do an excellent job of safely evacuating the school bus during the early evacuation drills that are a state required. This year’s training has already made a huge impact for one child in our school district who waited for the “thumbs up” signal from her driver saving her from almost being hit by a distracted driver.