Family Adoptions

Band Performs Christmas Parade

Macy Lumley, Social Media Manager

The Christmas season is a time for giving and being around family and friends, but for some families, they aren’t as fortunate. There are families in different communities, as well as our own, that do not get any gifts for Christmas because they need to spend money for the basic necessities to just get through the week. The Fair Grove students and faculty put some time and effort into making these families’ holiday season one that they wouldn’t forget. There are different ways that people can also help out for  these families who are in need.

Amy Johnson, NHS (National Honor Society) sponsor, explains why NHS adopts a family, “We adopt a family to help provide for others. NHS has adopted a family for  the past 7 years. The holidays can be a stressful time when money is tight. We try to focus on giving and serving others.” NHS picks out a family that is on a list in the central office. They pick the family who needs the most help, and then the members of NHS donate money for what the family wants and needs, and what the children would like for Christmas. They also donate a gift card to help out with basic household needs, such as shampoo, soap and toothpaste. NHS also donates wrapping paper and bows so that the parents can participate in the experience, too.

You can participate by going to a local church and helping the families that need some assistance. You can donate toys to Toys for Tots at different locations. These families still need help, not only during the holidays, but every month. They need as much help as they can get. You can help by donating to a local food bank during the months. When you adopt a family, or simply donate items, you are not only helping out, but you also feel like you make a difference in someone else’s life.