Shoebox for Soldiers

Mikayla Yount, Reporter

On November 23rd the elementary students and staff started collecting money and supplies for the Shoebox for Soldiers program. Sabrina Francis, a 4th grade teacher, is the one in charge of the program. “Shoebox for soldiers is a program that helps gather supplies for men and women that are away from home for the holidays,” says Francis. The elementary collected supplies for a week and ended the program on December 4th.

The elementary teamed up with Family Pharmacy to get as many boxes filled as possible. It cost $15 dollars to ship one box so the elementary also had a “camo day” to help raise more money for the program. Overall they raised 273 dollars and got to fill 18 boxes.

Certain items were placed into the boxes like pens, paper, candy, food, toiletries, drinks, and even some games. They tried their best to make the boxes unique and creative by adding handwritten notes and letters to the boxes that were made from several elementary students. The boxes even included the school’s address so if the soldiers would like to send a letter or note back they could. “Every year we receive at least one letter in return from a soldier or soldiers who are grateful for receiving the care package,” says Francis.

Francis said there wasn’t a single person or class that raised the most or brought the most items, it was a collaborative effort from the entire elementary. Francis and a few other teachers filled the care packages and sent them off to the military men and women who were not home for the holidays.