PTO Christmas Shop

Macy Lumley, Social Media Manager

The PTO Christmas Shop was held December 7th through the 11th in the Elementary. Every year children expect their parents to buy them something for Christmas, but this year these children are doing something different. Even though the parents are the ones that normally buy the items that their children desire, the Fair Grove Elementary students had the opportunity to shop for their friends and family with the help of the Elementary PTO.

The shop was located in a small unused classroom where tables were set up with various items on them. Students could buy little items like socks, mugs, blankets, and necklaces. Jacob Shurtz, a first grader in Mrs. Crandall’s class, explained, “I got to look around for things for my family on my own for once.” Shurtz also commented that he
bought his mother a necklace, and soccer socks for his brother because it gets cold outside. For three consecutive years, the children have had the opportunity to buy items for others. Usually, the same parents of the students volunteer, but sometimes new parents volunteer, like Joe Myers. “My wife Lynette, received an email asking for volunteers for the PTO holiday shop at the school. I mentioned that it sounded fun and she took that as I would love
to volunteer for the duty, so she signed us both up,” explained Myers. The volunteers wore elf costumes, as well as hats, and they wrapped the presents that the children bought. A regular volunteer, Jennifer Harp, also shared “The items that the kids could buy were in the range of 50¢ up to $5. We run the shop because we feel like it is a good opportunity for the kids to know how it feels to give to other people.”

All of the money from the items bought goes directly to the school for supplies, field trips, and gifts. The children were filled with a sense of pride in themselves knowing that they bought presents for their family all on their own. Rather than the hustle and bustle of the nearest mall, the children of the Fair Grove Elementary will know when, and where to do their Christmas shopping next year.