Next Level Crusader

By Leah Wahlquist, Copy Editor

On Wednesday February 3rd, high school senior, Nate Mallard, signed to play football for Evangel University. Family, friends, teammates, and coaches gathered in the high school library to take part in his special event.

“I am excited for the new level of challenges, as well as the bigger, faster, and stronger players and I hope to transform into one of those also,” Nate explained. Nate played the role of a defensive lineman before current head football coach, Bill Voorhis, came to Fair Grove. After the coaching change, he joined the offensive linemen and became a vital role in the success of the team.

“Nate was a captain for two years; others listened to him and because of that he was like a coach on the field. I hope the younger players learned about the need to have that type of player on the field and our team if we want to continue to be successful,” said Voorhis. Nate received several awards during his time here at Fair Grove. For two years consecutive years, he was an All-Conference Offensive Lineman and received the Academic All-State award for his efforts in the classroom as well as on the football field. Voorhis explained, “Nate was a very smart football player. He picked up and absorbed information very quickly as we switched offensive and defensive schemes, which allowed him to be a successful player. I expect him to continue his success and represent our football program well at the next level.”

Mallard hopes to advance his leadership and someday lead Evangel’s team as he moves on to the collegiate level. He will join the Evangel Crusaders next fall and plans on entering the medical field.