Facing the Future

Alysssa Everett

Ryan Burks mowing lawns for his summer job

By Leah Wahlquist, Copy Editor

There is no doubt that getting that first job is a big step in a young adult’s life, but obtaining that first position may not be as hard as they think. There are several steps to follow before that paycheck is in your possession. Many students at Fair Grove have already put forth the time and effort into sealing their first jobs and currently receive the many rewards it offers.

Ryan Burks (11), heard about an open position from a fellow classmate during his sophomore year and looked further into it. This job entails mowing and weed whacking for a local business. Burks travels to Pinegar Land and Cattle where he works from summer to fall about three days a week. This coming summer will become Burks’s second year with Pinegar. “This job taught me to take responsibility, work hard, and manage my time better,” said Burks.

Some students don’t put forth the effort into getting a job because they think previous experience is required or they aren’t ready, but they must start somewhere. In order to get a job, students must first apply by going around to businesses and picking up an application, filling it out, and returning it. That’s it, applying is the easy part, but putting in the effort on the job is the most challenging part for most young adults.

There are many benefits to getting a summer job, including getting paid and gaining skills required for future careers. Making money as well as an increased amount of free time are major reasons why more students get jobs during the summer.  These factors make “getting a job” sound more appealing to younger students.

Applying for and receiving a job can be very stressful for teenagers, but there’s no reason to panic. Take the time to find a career  you will thoroughly enjoy and work hard at securing and maintaining that position because there are a limited amount of jobs available for young adults with the increasing use of technology in the workforce. Work hard while you still can and be sure to focus on gaining new skills needed for future careers.