Middle School Football Kicks Off a New Season

Fair Grove middle school football team attempts to run the ball. PHOTO BY NEWSPAPER STAFF

Dylan Bates

The 2016 middle school football season has started and the players are ready for an exciting season. The Eagles, coached by Marc Green and Randie Roepke, played their first game on September 6th against Skyline. The 7th and 8th grade teams both came out with a loss but are still improving and have plenty of games left.

Middle school football is a learning experience for these players. This is the first year some players have ever played and, for the 7th graders, it is their first opportunity at playing a school sport. “We try to do what the high school does on offense and defense, but in a simplified way,” added middle school Football Coach Randie Roepke.

“We also work on the fundamentals like tackling and blocking the right way,” Ropeke explained. Somtimes in youth football leagues, players don’t always learn the correct techniques for high school football. In the Fair Grove middle school football program the coaches help each player get prepared for their high school football career. The middle school players also get the opportunity to practice with the High School coaches as certain points in during their practice.

Coach Roepke stated, “The Strafford game is always a fun game to be a part of because of the rivalry between the two school.” That game will be played on Tuesday, October 4th at Strafford. The Fair Grove football program will be looking for a perfect sweep over the Strafford football program this year.

The next game on the Middle School Eagles schedule is Tuesday, October 11, at Pleasant Hope. Kick-off begins at 5:30.