Students Get a Head Start With College Credits

Cody Sisco

High School students are given the opportunity to go to college early. Missouri colleges such as Missouri State, Drury, and South Baptist University allow high school students to take college classes in high school as college credit. This gives students many advantages like preparation for college, cheaper tuition, and the opportunity to go into college as an experienced freshman.
College is extremely expensive for students and many spend most of their life paying off student loans, so for students in high school to get college credit for half the tuition and not have to pay for books is really helpful especially for students coming from middle or lower class families who will have a hard time paying for their child to go to college. Students are also allowed to take these college classes for no cost but they won’t be counted as college credit. Those who are taking the class for college credit are not allowed to opt out of the finals first and second semester.
Students can enroll to take college credit for college classes at the beginning of second semester. Some of the classes that are offered by the colleges are college English, college Algebra, agriculture construction, and personal finance. High school counselor Tonya Peck said, “It is important for students to take college classes in high school in order to get a jumpstart on their education.” Peck expressed the importance for students to take on the challenge now to save money and an even bigger challenge in the future.
Students can start taking college classes their junior year when college classes are available. Some colleges offer different amounts of credit. And in some classes you can only take college credit in that class for one semester, but even semester courses save time and money.