Coach Tim Brown Named to Men’s Filbert Five

Coach Tim Brown with player Garret Potter at the Blue and Gold tournament. PHOTO BY LEAH WAHLQUIST

Leah Wahlquist

On Wednesday December 14th, Tim Brown, head coach of the high school boys’ basketball team, attended the Hall’s Annual Basketball Luncheon presented by Mercy. During this event, Brown was named to the men’s Filbert Five, an award in honor of former basketball coach and Missouri Sports Hall of Fame Inductee as well as Missouri Sports Legend, Gary Filbert.Brown graduated from Rogersville High School where he was named to the All-State, All-Ozarks, All-Central Ozark Conference, and all-district teams during his senior year with an average of 19.5 points and 6.5 assists per game. He continued on to play at Drury University where he had great success from 2005 to 2008. “College athletics is a lot different than high school because college, it’s a job. A lot of high school athletes do not understand that when they first arrive at college. Life is much different, you’re treated as an adult and held accountable for that,” mentions Brown. He ended his career with 873 points and 453 assists and was named to the All-GLVC (Great Lakes Valley Conference) Tournament team while setting its assist record. Brown also led his team to win the GLVC Tournament title; a program first, during his senior year, which then led to their appearance in the NCAA Division II national tournament and a final record of 25-6. Brown took over the head coaching position at Fair Grove in 2011 and has since, each year, increased the number of wins the Eagles received. Fair Grove Superintendent, Mike Bell, mentions, “Coach Brown has re-established a winning tradition to the boys’ basketball program, while teaching the importance of hard work, commitment, and character. His ability to motivate and challenge kids to perform at their best on and off the court is second to none.” Last year, he led the team to its first district title in 13 years, a third place finish at the annual Blue and Gold tournament, and a state quarterfinal appearance, all while setting the program’s single-season win record, finishing the 2015-2016 season 25-6.
While the previous season may be tough to top, Brown ultimately has his sights set on a Final Four finish this season.