Business Tech Prepares Students for Adult Life

Alexus Rust, 10, gets interviewed by Mike Gilbert. PHOTO BY KELSEY BRUNKHORST

Amanda Orr

One of the events school helps you prepare for is a job interview which most will encounter at some point in their life. The Business Tech classes are the ones that participate in them. These interviews took place on November 17, during 7th hour.
Sandra Robinson, Business Tech teacher, says, “The students have prepared for the interviews by making a cover letter and they go over potential questions that employers might ask.” The kids also have to go over their body language and the way they come across during an interview. The kids have to wear business attire/professional clothes. These would include button down shirts, blouses, slacks, skirts, etc..
An employee for Commerce Bank, and the Director of Public Relations at MSU, conducted the interviews. They questioned the students in the boardroom so it could be in a more professional environment. The two employers asked the students how they would handle customers and other workers. The interviews lasted less than 10 minutes varying on the questions. Everyone in Business Tech had to fill out a resume of their past jobs, special skills, and talents.
Robinson states, “Former students say to me all the time that their experience with the job interview made them feel prepared and ready for real interviews.” After the interviews were over the kids watch the taped footage of them and their interviewer. They see their rating sheet and discuss the things they can improve on. The person that does the best “gets the job”, and coupons, and 100 bonus points. This year’s job interview winner was Lilly Haumann.