Students Graduate Drug Free

MS student reads DARE essay aloud at graduation ceremony. PHOTO PROVIDED BY NEWSPAPER STAFF

Alex Brewer

The DARE program at Fair Grove is to help kids make decisions and help build a stronger bond with the law enforcement. DARE helps kids build confidence and gain the ability to say no to peer pressure in situations that may arise and cause stress for the student. With more confidence, the student will have no problem saying no to anything they don’t feel comfortable with.
5th grade social studies teacher Jennifer Anglen sponsors the DARE program here at Fair Grove. Throughout her 18 year teaching career here Fair Grove, Anglen has sponsored DARE and believes it will continue to grow and help the students here at Fair Grove. “DARE is a program that is offered by the Greene County Sheriff’s Department. The purpose is to teach students how to resist against destructive situations.” DARE stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. This means that the DARE program helps kids become more knowledgeable on drugs, alcohol, and illegal substances.
By helping students understand the effects and what these substances can do to your body, it will help the students turn away from the destructive situations. DARE graduates are the 5th graders ranging from ages 10-11. The DARE program sends DARE Officer Dale Wagner to the school every year to teach the students about how to be drug free and live a drug free life. Anglen states that by having an actual representative from the Green County Sheriff Department come and teach the kids, it will “provide a wonderful opportunity for the kids to build positive relationships with the local law enforcement.”
Each student wrote an essay to graduate through the DARE program after learning all about how drugs and alcohol abuse can destroy their lives. Once a student graduates through the DARE program, they receive a certificate congratulating them on their achievements. The certificate gives confidence to the students and will make a positive influence on their lives to continue living drug free.