Culture Club Travels International

Fair Grove Newspaper Staff

The Culture Club visits Buckingham Palace in London.

Alex Brewer

From the third of June to the 13th of June, Fair Grove students visited Europe with the school’s culture club. The group visited 4 select countries: England, Ireland, Wales, and Paris. Fair Grove had 36 people go and there was an extra group of five from Texas that joined the Fair Grove group that went overseas to visit. Michelle Wahlquist was the leading supervisor alongside Amy Holland and Leslie Johnston.

Overall, the group stayed four nights in Ireland. While in Ireland, the group stayed in Tralee, County Kerry, Carlow, and Dublin. They visited many landmarks such as the Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle, Trinity College, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. They also went on what is called the Ring of Kerry, which is a scenic drive around the southwestern part of Ireland. The Ring included many stops for the tourists to visit such as historical bog villages and sheepherding farms.

The group, after visiting Ireland, rode a ferry boat through St. George’s Channel to Wales. “We rode a ferry boat cruise liner to Holyhead and Coventry. We visited a Welsh castle, and during lunch, most of us ate fish and chips.” States Michelle Wahlquist. “We traveled to Stratford-upon-Avon on our way to London. We visited William Shakespeare’s childhood home and that of his wife, Anne Hathaway’s family home.” Added Wahlquist. “Everyone knew one of my highlights had to be Shakespeare’s birthplace and Stratford-upon-Avon, but there were many wonderful things on this trip.”

While in London, the students got to see many famous landmarks like Big Ben, The House of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, and there was an unexpected parade in honor of Prince Philip’s birthday that included the Duke of Cambridge, Prince William. Fair Grove junior Matthew Guynn  states, ¨My favourite part of the trip was walking around London during the night. Being able to see everything and how different the culture is.¨ The students also were able to attend a tour of Windsor Castle. After visiting London, the culture club took a train that ran beneath the English Channel and arrived in Paris, London.

The main attraction during the trip to Paris was no doubt the Eiffel Tower. The students were able to ride all the way to the top of the 984 ft tower. The group also got to see how the lights on the tower as the night grew older. Alongside going to see the iconic landmark, the culture club went to the Louvre, the oldest museum in the world. The Louvre holds many of the world’s most famous pieces of artwork, such as the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Victory of Samothrace, and many more.

¨If I was given the chance to go again, I would definitely go, and I would recommend anyone that gets the chance to take it.¨ states Guynn. The culture club will be departing again with their destination being Australia in 2018.