Chess Club Starts Year With New Sponsor

Jordan Van Nostrand

Fair Grove Chess Club Members Locked in a Battle of Wits

Jordan Van Nostrand

The Fair Grove Chess Club has a new sponsor this year: Mr. Van Cleave. The Chess Club meets every Tuesday after school in the middle school commons until 4:00. Mr. Van Cleave said, “We had 16 students come to our first meeting, I’ve had several other students contact me about joining chess club, but due to conflicting schedules with fall activities such as Football or Volleyball they could not make it, but they are completely welcome to join us for practice once their activities are over.” In total Van Cleave said that they are expecting around 25 students to come to the chess club. The chess club will meet every week until the end of third quarter.

Van Cleave encourages students to come to chess club even if they are not experienced chess players. “We will teach you! We have several experienced players including Bailey Steele, and Colton Dame to help out,” stated Mr. Van Cleave. The Chess Club has $10 dues which pay for membership and a Chess Club T-shirt. “You don’t have to pay your dues right away so you can come and see if you like it first,” added Van Cleave.

“The plan is to have fun, improve, and hopefully compete in one tournament.” stated Mr. Van Cleave. The chess club had competed in the annual tournament at Seymour, but in the past years the tournament dissolved. This year the chess club will compete in the Springfield Open Chess Tournament at Drury University Saturday, November 4th. The Tournament consists of 4 non-elimination rounds held at 10:00, 12:00, 2:30, and 4:30. Registration before the tournament cost $5 per person and registration the day of the tournament cost $10 per person. For more information on the tournament you can contact Mr. Van Cleave at [email protected].