Homecoming Dances Off

Ben Borchers

Fair Grove students enjoy the 2017 Homecoming Dance.

Ben Borchers

Fair Grove’s Homecoming was September 29th immediately after the Fair Grove football team defeated Marionville 55-18. The dance was organized by the Fair Grove Student Council and was held in the high school courtyard from the end of the game to 11pm. The dance was Hawaiian themed with a week of spirit days preceding. The spirit days each had a theme that was Hawaiian themed consisting of students dressing up to a daily theme in order to obtain spirit points and possibly get a prize at the end of the week. The spirit days were respectively Tourist Tuesday, in which students dressed like tourists, followed by the non-alliterated Hawaiian Wednesday, in which students dressed Hawaiian themed, and Surfing Thursday, in which students dressed like surfers! Finally, the spirit week ended in Fair Grove Friday, a day for the celebration of the Fair Grove Athletic Department in which students dressed in Fair Grove attire.

Fair Grove Student Council President Mark Cockroft stated, “People had fun they got out and danced. I say the outcome was good.” Mark also commented that he thought around 100 people came to the dance, but he wasn’t for sure. Senior Tylor Alsup had fun at the dance, saying, “My favorite part was standing around watching everyone make a fool of themselves. Mostly the people who can’t dance.”

The Homecoming Queen for 2017 was Senior Shyan Proctor, with Senior runner-ups Lily Walker-Haumann and Bailey Chandler. The Junior Princess was Ryah Icenhower, the Sophomore Princess was Lizzy Gravitt, and the Freshman Princess Lillian Crum. Homecoming nominations were voted on at lunch during the week of Homecoming, with original nominees being whittled down to a smaller group. The Homecoming group then held court on a trailer covered in hay and some chairs and proceeded to take large amounts of pictures with parents and friends.