Young Cheerleaders Prepare for Future

Preston Thompson

The junior cheer performance occurred on December 8th with over 50 kids participating in the event in grades ranging from 3rd to 6th grade. The event took place during the break between the junior varsity and varsity game. It was a well choreographed dance performance with the 50 children and the highschool cheerleaders participating that lasted for several minutes. The varsity cheerleaders helped supervise the kids. Tiffany Hill, the coach in charge of the event, stated, “It’s good for the varsity and its the future of our children that want to go into cheerleading.”

The young students prepared for the special event with a two day camp in which Coach Hill directed the children and taught them several chants, celebrations, and cheers to lead the audience during the game. They were also taught the choreography for the performance between the games. The high school cheerleaders also helped out in the training of the future cheerleaders. This is Coach Tiffany Hill’s second year organizing to the junior cheer performance at Fair Grove. She said, “I love it. It is one of my favorite things to do. It totally exhausts me but it is worth doing it every year.”

The students were led in several chants by the high school cheerleaders which were performed to motivate the junior varsity and varsity boys basketball teams and to rally the crowd with fun and exciting cheers for the students and families. Almost all of the parents were avidly recording or taking photos while watching the performance between the junior varsity and varsity games. The kids were all very excited during the game and were laughing and cheering the whole time. The performance was well received and everyone involved enjoyed the event. Both the junior varsity and varsity won the games played against the Buffalo Bison.